Cabal of Haringey Councillors privatising government & £2bn land & damaging health of council tenants
The privatisation of land
Haringey's Devlopment Vehicle (HDV) shared 50/50 with the private International Development Company Lend Lease, swallowing £2bn of public assets and land is the privatization of public land. The council leader is either suffering from a bad attack of epistemological blindness or a chronic denial of the meaning of words persistently to deny it.
The privatisation of government.
It is also the privatization of government by a cabal of a few Councillors who will be told how to run the HDV by Lend Lease. How many times will we be told that questions about the HDV cannot be answered due to commercial confidentiality ? Will the auditors of the HDV be accountable to the cabal of Councillors or the residents of Haringey? Will the HDV be open to judicial review against abuses of power by the HDV? If the current Labour Council lost an election does the existing cabal of Councillors continue to run the HDV?
No account taken of damage to health of council tenants
The cabal is set to engage in a ruthless abuse of power demolishing the homes deprived constituents in their most deprived ward without taking into account the impact of the existing deprivation of their health. If they had then the answers these questions would have been immediately available to the public. They were not.
- How many people from the Northumberland Park Ward were admitted to hospital with a primary or secondary diagnosis of malnutrition in 2010/11 and in 2014/15?
- What percentage of people in the Northumberland Park ward are a) marginally food secure? b) ave very low food security?
- What percentage of women in Northumberland Park ward cannot afford to put food on the table?
- What percentage of GPs in the borough serving the patients of the Northumberland Park ward have been asked to refer patients to a food bank in 2014/15 and 2015/16?
- What percentage of babies in Northumberland Park ward were born low birthweight in 2010/11 and in 2015/16?
- What number of babies were born low birthweight in 29/10/11 and in 2015/16 What was the mortality rate in Northumberland Park ward in 2010/11 and in 2015/16?
Local authorities responsible for improving health.
Local authorities have, since 1 April 2013, been responsible for improving the health of their local population and for public health services under the Health and Social Care Act 2012. In April 2013 Haringey simultaneously started taxing the shredded benefits incomes of their most deprived tenants, and enforcing the tax with bailiffs, and started planning the demolition of their homes. Both steps are doing nothing to improve the health of the tenants of Northumberland Park ward, which ought to happen on both legal and moral grounds. Quite the opposite.
Rev Paul Nicolson, Tottenham
Land Value Tax will abolish council tax and business rates. TAP’s priority is low income renters &…
20 July 2018
London Borough of Haringey made financial decisions without regard to their impact on the health of the…
8 July 2018