Building Back Fairer Conference 10th June 2021
Taxpayers Against Poverty is very pleased to support and promote this important conference organised by our partner organisation, Compassion in Politics.
The conference is inspired by Prof Michael Marmot's report, Build Back Fairer, which documented the appalling levels of financial and health inequality that exist in modern Britain and which help to explain why the Covid-19 death toll was so high overall and why certain communities - especially BAME groups, and economically and socially disadvantaged communities - were so badly affected by the disease.
Covid has amplified poverty and social injustice.
Michael Marmot's report makes a huge number of recommendations for building a fairer, more equal, and prosperous society. This conference will discuss those ideas and others and begin to identify how exactly they can be campaigned for and implemented.
The impressive line-up of speakers includes
- Prof Michael Marmot
- Dr Rachel Clarke, NHS palliative care doctor and author
- David Lammy, MP for Tottenham and Shadow Justice Secretary
- Jennifer Nadel, Co-Director of Compassion in Politics
- Neal Lawson, Director of Compass
- Prof Dawn Edge
- Sunder Katwala, Director of British Future
- Debbie Abrahams, MP for Oldham East and Saddleworth
- Polly Neate CBE, CEO of Shelter
- Kirsty McNeill, Executive Director of Policy, Advocacy, and Campaigns, Save the Children
- Caroline Lucas, MP for Brighton Pavilion
- Prof Kate Pickett, Professor of Epidemiology at the University of York and author of the Spirit Level
- Miatta Fahnbulleh, Chief Executive of the New Economics Foundation
- Christian Wakeford, MP for Bury South.
The conference is on Thursday 10th June from 2pm to 4pm
Tickets are available at Building Back Fairer - Compassion in Politics